- Click here to see the itinerary!
Whether it be our air-conditioned buses, boat, train, or even tuk-tuk - you can hop-on hop-off anywhere along the route.
Knowledgeable local guides to provide invaluable support and insider insights and to assist with booking accommodation and activities at every destination.
Have a bed reserved for you at every Stray overnight stop. Book through your Tour Leader and pay-as-you-go directly to the accommodation.
12 month travel pass
Your pass is valid for 12 months from the first day of travel.
There are some awesome activities and entrance fees included with your pass:
- White Temple entrance fee, Chiang Rai
- Pak Ou Caves entrance fee, near Luang Prabang
Not included: The cost of your accommodation and optional activities is not included in a hop-on, hop-off pass. You have the flexibility to choose what suits your budget and pay-as-you-go. These can be booked via your Tour Leader.
Is this trip right for you?
✓ Do you want to explore with a group of like-minded travellers?
✓ Do you want to explore Northern Thailand and Laos at your own pace?
✓ Do you want to immerse yourself in local culture?
✓ Do you want to visit some of those harder to reach, remote destinations?
✓ Do you want the flexibility to stay longer in certain places?
The Tom Yum Freestyle Pass is a great choice for you!
If you would prefer a tour with accommodation and more activities included, check out our Freestyle Tours!
Our mission is to get you off the beaten track amongst authentic local culture and our experienced crew has chosen some incredible destinations so you can see more and do more! 'Strademark' Places are the places you're less likely to find in the guide book but the ones you'll be talking about long after the adventure has ended.
- Only Stray visits a tiny, remote Lao village on the banks of the Mekong River. Experience traditional village life. Hang out with locals in their backyard, swim or play football with the kids. A very special part of the visit to this village is your opportunity to participate in a Baci (welcoming) ceremony.
Get inspired and start planning your trip!
Travel smarter and safer - Stay covered on your adventures!
Get your trip off to a hassle-free start with airport transfers and 1 night's accommodation close to the departure location.
Short on cash but don't want to miss out?
Deposit option available. Hit BOOK YOUR TRAVEL below and select from the payment options at checkout. Find out more.
Tom Yum - Pass
Starts: Bangkok - or anywhere on the travel loop and finish where you started! Just let us know upon booking.
Days: Monday or Friday
Time: 6pm at the Stray Bangkok Travel Shop
Bangkok to Chiang Mai (via Ayutthaya)
|Bangkok - 162 Soi Rambutri, Tanao Road (Arrive)||09:30||09:30|
|Bangkok - 162 Soi Rambutri, Tanao Road (Depart)||10:00||10:00|
|Ayutthaya (Arrive)||12:00 PM||12:00 PM|
|Ayutthaya - Good Luck Guesthouse (Depart)||17:00||17:00|
|Ayutthaya Train Station (Depart)||19:45||19:45|
Chiang Mai to Houay Xai
|Chiang Mai - Hugnur Hostel (Depart)||09:00||09:00|
|Chiang Rai - Bus Terminal 2 (Phaholayotin Rd) (Depart)||12:15||12:15|
|Thai Border (Depart)||14:30||14:30|
|Houay Xai (Laos Border) (Arrive)||16:00||16:00|
Houay Xai to Mekong River Homestay
|Houay Xai (Laos Border) - Oudomphone Hotel 2 (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
|Homestay Village (Arrive)||16:30||16:30|
Mekong River Homestay to Luang Prabang
|Homestay Village - Boat Landing (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
|Pak Ou Caves (Depart)||14:00||14:00|
|Luang Prabang (Arrive)||16:00||16:00|
Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng
|Luang Prabang - Arham Corner Guesthouse & Sports B (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
|Vang Vieng (Arrive)||14:30||14:30|
Vang Vieng to Vientiane
|Vang Vieng - Seng Aloun Guesthouse (Depart)||09:00||09:00|
Arrive in Chiang Mai
|Chiang Mai (Arrive)||08:15||08:15|
Vientiane to Bangkok (Express Day)
|Vientiane - Phuong Champa Hotel (Depart)||15:00||15:00|
|Nong Khai (Arrive)||17:15||17:15|
|Nong Khai - Train Station (Depart)||18:20||18:20|
|Chiang Mai (Free Day)||Free||Free|
|Luang Prabang (Free Day)||Free||Free|
Tom Yum: Finish in Bangkok
Arrival in Bangkok
|Stray Shop - 162 Soi Rambutri, Tanao Road (Welcome Night)||18:00||18:00|
|Vang Vieng (Free Day)||Free||Free|
Tom Yum - Pass
Need to Know
Some key details...
- Transport - All transport is included - you'll travel by bus (mostly private, air-conditioned buses with 24 seats), minivans, trains (Thailand only), boats (Laos only) and tuk-tuks.
- Guides - Stray employs local Tour Leaders to ensure you get more out of your trip. Hear the local stories, try their food recommendations, get insider tips and advice. Tour Leaders change from country to country so you'll have several different Tour Leaders throughout your journey if you're traveling multiple countries and if you hop on and off the bus - they're all absolute legends!
- Validity - This Freestyle Pass is valid for 12 months from your first day of travel and can be travelled once.
- Hopping on/off - Hop on and off as much as you like along the travel route. The buses run twice a week so the minimum amount of time you can hop off for is 3 days.
- Minimum Days - You don't need to hop off if you're short on time - you can travel your pass in the "Minimum Days". There are non-travel days throughout the route so you will not be travelling everyday however we recommend allowing extra time to hop off.
- Departures - Buses run twice a week. Use the timetable to plan your trip.
- Booking Buses - Use Stray Mate (trip manager website) to book buses - you'll receive log in details in your Booking Confirmation email. If you're on a short timeframe, we recommend booking all your buses in advance.
- Accommodation - Accommodation is not included - we have preferred accommodation options at each overnight stop and you can book this through your Tour Leader, or you can opt to book your own. Stray's preferred accommodation is simple and budget friendly.
- Activities - Activities are not included - your Tour Leader can provide recommendations and assist with booking.
- Visas - You are responsible for obtaining any visas you require for the countries you are travelling in. Visa requirements vary depending on where you’re coming from and where you going, so we recommend that you contact the appropriate embassy in your country of origin.
- Travel Insurance - You must have a travel insurance policy to cover you for the entire time you are travelling with Stray. You will be asked for your policy details prior to starting travel.
- Stray Travellers - Our travellers are from all over the world, are energetic, adventurous and mainly aged between 20-35. You'll have people who have booked Freestyle Passes and Tours in your group, as the route is exactly the same, it's just the inclusions that are different.
- Group Size - Max 18, Average 9
- Unguided sectors - Some trips may include one or two unguided sectors as our Local Tour Leaders stay in their country of origin and bid you farewell to continue your journey with a new Tour Leader in the next country you're travelling to. Crossing the borders can be a bit of an adventure but your Tour Leader will tell you what to expect. In Stray Mate Trip Manager you can read the itinerary for each of these days to ensure your unguided sectors go smoothly.