The Khmer Tour takes you further off the beaten track in Cambodia. Stay overnight in a Cambodian village, learn about Cambodia's tragic history, cruise the waterways, and of course, no trip to Cambodia is complete without visiting the magnificent Angkor Wat!
- Click here to see the itinerary!
Travel private and public air-conditioned buses.
Knowledgeable local guides to provide invaluable support and insider insights and to assist with booking accommodation and activities at every destination.
11 nights’ shared accommodation in a variety of comfortable hotels, hostels, guesthouses and homestays! Click 'Select Upgrade' to upgrade to a twin or single room.
1 breakfast, 1 lunch and 1 dinner.
From temples, to river cruises, to nature encounters there are heaps of awesome activity inclusions in this tour:
- Cambodian Homestay Experience - includes accommodation, local activities and meals.
- Bamboo Train, Battambang
- Full day Angkor Temple Tour, Siem Reap
- S21 Prison entrance fee
- Phnom Penh Killing Fields
- Sunset river cruise, Kampot
Flexibility and 12 months to travel
You don't have to complete the Khmer Tour in 12 days, take your time and go with the flow! Freestyle Tours are flexible. You can hop-off at any destination along the route and spend more time there, then hop back on the tour with the next group that is coming through. It's really easy to manage your trip online using the Stray Mate Trip Manager. Your tour is valid for up to 12 months from first day of travel so you can hop, hop hop, as much as you like!
Not included: If you choose to hop off the bus you'll need to pay for additional nights accommodation. Optional activities and meals (other than the meals specified in the itinerary) are not included in the price.
Is this trip right for you?
✓ Do you want to explore with a group of like-minded travellers?
✓ Do you want to focus on Cambodia but explore at your own pace?
✓ Do you want to immerse yourself in local culture?
✓ Do you want to visit some of those harder to reach, off the beaten track destinations?
The Khmer Freestyle Tour is a great choice for you!
Our mission is to get you off the beaten track amongst authentic local culture and our experienced crew has chosen some incredible destinations so you can see more and do more! 'Strademark' Places are the places you're less likely to find in the guide book but the ones you'll be talking about long after the adventure has ended.
- Immerse yourself in real Cambodian village life when we stay in a rural village 20mins from Battambang.
Instead of returning to Bangkok you can choose to continue to Ho Chi Minh City.
If you would like to do this, please:
- Add a comment at checkout
- Or contact the Stray Reservations team
- If you're already travelling, you can speak to your Tour Leader
Get inspired and start planning your trip!
Travel smarter and safer - Stay covered on your adventures!
Short on cash but don't want to miss out?
Deposit option available. Hit BOOK YOUR TRAVEL below and select from the payment options at checkout. Find out more.
Khmer - Freestyle Tour
Tour: Siem Reap
|Siem Reap (Free Day)||Free||Free|
Tour: Siem Reap to Battambang (Homestay)
|Siem Reap - White Rabbit Hostel (Depart)||09:00||09:00|
|Battambang - Homestay (Arrive)||15:30||15:30|
Tour: Battambang to Sihanoukville
|Battambang - Homestay (Depart)||07:00||07:00|
Tour: Sihanoukville - Day 1
|Sihanoukville (Free Day)||Free||Free|
Tour: Sihanoukville to Kampot
|Sihanoukville - Jully Anna Guesthouse Otres 2 (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
Tour: Kampot to Phnom Penh
|Kampot - Ny Ny Guesthouse (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
|Phnom Penh (Arrive)||12:00||12:00|
Tour: Siem Reap to Bangkok (Express Day)
|Siem Reap (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
Tour: Phnom Penh to Siem Reap
|Phnom Penh (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
|Siem Reap (Arrive)||15:00||15:00|
Tour: Bangkok to Siem Reap (Express Day)
|Poipet Border (Depart)||12:00||12:00|
|Siem Reap - Northern Bus Station (Arrive)||17:00||17:00|
|Bangkok (Arrive & Pick Up Tickets)||16:00||16:00|
Tour: Sihanoukville - Day 2
|Sihanoukville (Free Day)||Free||Free|
Khmer - Freestyle Tour
Need to Know
Some key details...
- Transport - All transport is included - you'll travel by bus (mostly private, air-conditioned buses with 24 seats), minivans, trains (Thailand only), boats (Laos only) and tuk-tuks.
- Guides - Stray employs local Tour Leaders to ensure you get more out of your trip. Hear the local stories, try their food recommendations, get insider tips and advice. Tour Leaders change from country to country so you'll have several different Tour Leaders throughout your journey if you're traveling multiple countries and if you hop on and off the bus - they're all absolute legends!
- Validity - This Freestyle Tour is valid for 12 months from your first day of travel and can be travelled once.
- Hopping on/off - Hop on and off as much as you like along the travel route. The buses run twice a week so the minimum amount of time you can hop off for is 3 days.
- Travelling without hopping off - You don't need to hop off if you're short on time - you can travel your tour in the number of days in the itinerary. There are non-travel days throughout the route so you will not be travelling everyday however we recommend allowing extra time to hop off.
- Departures - Buses run twice a week. Use the timetable to plan your trip.
- Booking Buses - Use Stray Mate (trip manager website) to book buses - you'll receive log in details in your Booking Confirmation email. If you're on a short timeframe, we recommend booking all your buses in advance.
- Accommodation - Accommodation is included for all nights of the itinerary. We stay in a mix of simple family operated guesthouses, hostels, basic hotels and village homestays. If you choose to hop off, you'll need to arrange, and pay for, your own accommodation.
- Accommodation Options - Standard pricing is for Shared accommodation.
- Shared accommodation: a mixture of twin-share, triple-share and 4-8 bed dorms with other travellers of the same sex.
- Twin-share: only share with one other person. If you’re travelling as a couple, you can specify a preference for a double bed. Solo travellers who choose Twin-share will be paired with someone of the same sex.
- Single: your own private room
Please note: At the homestays in Laos and Cambodia, we stay with a local family in their home. As part of this experience private (twin-share and single) rooms are not available.
- Activities - Top-rated activities are included and if you want to opt for extra activities, your Tour Leader can provide recommendations and assist with booking.
- Visas - You are responsible for obtaining any visas you require for the countries you are travelling in. Visa requirements vary depending on where you’re coming from and where you going, so we recommend that you contact the appropriate embassy in your country of origin.
- Travel Insurance - You must have a travel insurance policy to cover you for the entire time you are travelling with Stray. You will be asked for your policy details prior to starting travel.
- Stray Travellers - Our travellers are from all over the world, are energetic, adventurous and mainly aged between 20-35. You'll have people who have booked Freestyle Passes and Tours in your group, as the route is exactly the same, it's just the inclusions that are different.
- Group Size - Max 18, Average 9
- Unguided sectors - Some trips may include one or two unguided sectors as our Local Tour Leaders stay in their country of origin and bid you farewell to continue your journey with a new Tour Leader in the next country you're travelling to. Crossing the borders can be a bit of an adventure but your Tour Leader will tell you what to expect. In Stray Mate Trip Manager you can read the itinerary for each of these days to ensure your unguided sectors go smoothly.