The Khmer Flexi Tour takes you further off the beaten track in Cambodia. Stay overnight in a Cambodian village, learn about Cambodia's tragic history, spend time on the beach and of course, no trip to Cambodia is complete without visiting the magnificent Angkor Wat! Click here to see the route!
LOWBIRD SALE NOW ON
Travel before 30 September 2019 and save $$$! Offer ends 30 June 2019.
Planning to travel after 1 October 2019? Click here.
Travel private and public air-conditioned buses.
Knowledgeable local guides to provide invaluable support and insider insights and to assist with booking accommodation and activities at every destination.
10 nights’ accommodation in a variety of comfortable hotels, hostels, guesthouses and homestays!
2 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 2 dinners.
From temples, to river cruises, to nature encounters there are heaps of awesome activity inclusions in this tour:
- Full day Angkor Temple Tour, Siem Reap
- Phare Circus performance and dinner, Siem Reap
- Cambodian Village Experience - includes accommodation, local activities, meals and contribution to the village fund/project.
- Sunset river cruise, Kampot
- S21 Prison entrance fee
- Phnom Penh Killing Fields
Flexibility and 12 months to travel
You don't have to complete the Khmer Tour in 11 days, take your time and go with the flow! Freestyle Tours are flexible. You can hop-off at any destination along the route and spend more time there, then hop back on the tour with the next group that is coming through. It's really easy to manage your trip online using the Stray Mate Trip Manager. Your tour is valid for up to 12 months from first day of travel so you can hop, hop hop, as much as you like!
Not included: Accommodation if you choose to hop off the bus, extra meals and optional activities are not included in the price.
Is this trip right for you?
✓ Do you want to explore with a group of like-minded travellers?
✓ Do you want to focus on Cambodia but explore at your own pace?
✓ Do you want to immerse yourself in local culture?
✓ Do you want to visit some of those harder to reach, off the beaten track destinations?
The Khmer Freestyle Tour is a great choice for you!
Our mission is to get you off the beaten track amongst authentic local culture and our experienced crew has chosen some incredible destinations so you can see more and do more! 'Strademark' Places are the places you're less likely to find in the guide book but the ones you'll be talking about long after the adventure has ended.
- Immerse yourself in real Cambodian village life when we stay in a rural village 20mins from Battambang.
Instead of returning to Bangkok you can choose to continue to Ho Chi Minh City.
If you would like to do this, please:
- Add a comment at checkout
- Or contact the Stray Reservations team
- If you're already travelling, you can speak to your Tour Leader
Get inspired and start planning your trip!
Travel smarter and safer - Stay covered on your adventures!
Short on cash but don't want to miss out?
Deposit option available. Hit BOOK YOUR TRAVEL below and select from the payment options at checkout. Find out more.
Departs from: Bangkok
Days: Wednesday or Sunday (View the full timetable)
Time: Visit the Stray Bangkok Travel Shop before 4pm to get your tickets to Siem Reap
Given the spontaneous nature of our trips, what we do each day might occasionally vary.
Welcome to Stray! Your adventure kicks off in the buzzing Asian metropolis of Bangkok, Thailand. If you arrive early in the day feel free to check out the vibrant markets and ancient temples that make up only a small side of this multifaceted city. By 4pm, head to our Rambutri Stray Shop to meet with a Stray staff member, who will give you your bus ticket and a briefing on what to expect on tomorrow’s express trip to Siem Reap. You will also have the chance to sign up for Siem Reap’s highlight activities so you’re ready to dive right into the Cambodian scene. Make the most of your first night in Asia by exploring the exhilarating and intense Bangkok nightlife, snagging a bargain at a night market or dining out on some delicious Thai cuisine!
You’ll leave Bangkok at 9am on an unguided public connection heading across the border to Cambodia. Today your destination is the small, but vibrant city of Siem Reap, best known as home to the UNESCO World Heritage listed Angkor temple complex. After your early evening arrival, your Cambodia Tour Leader will meet you at the Sakura Village Guesthouse at 7.30pm to welcome you and explain more about how Stray works. Afterwards you are invited to join your Stray group for a walk along the iconic Pub Street where you will get to know your new travel mates over a tasty dinner and cold drinks.
Today you get to experience two of Siem Reap’s highlight activities. First you’ll spend most of the day exploring the UNESCO World Heritage Angkor temples, a crucial part of the Cambodian national identity. Then finish the day with the unforgettably unique Phare Circus, a locally run non-profit troupe that provides disadvantaged young people from the community with a place to learn the skills needed to earn their livings as professional performing artists.
A full day of travel takes us from the countryside to the largest seaside town on the Cambodian coast. Sihanoukville has recently undergone rapid development and substantial change. What used to be Cambodia’s premier beach location is now a hive of construction and so some people prefer to spend less time in Sihanoukville, opting to explore the nearby Cambodian Islands instead. We arrive late in the day so we’ll settle in to a guesthouse in Otres beach, take a look around and find a nice spot for a cold beer and some local khmer cuisine. With the Angkor Brewery up on the hill behind Sihanoukville, the beer here is some of the freshest in Cambodia!
Today you could take a ferry out to explore the neighboring islands of Koh Rong or Koh Rong Samloen. Go for the day or stay the night, there are accommodation options available on both islands. Koh Rong is a popular backpacker party island while Koh Rong Samloen boasts peaceful, white sand beaches with a more relaxing vibe. “Speed Ferry Cambodia” departs from Sihanoukville pier multiple times a day. The Cambodian islands feel like castaway paradise, the perfect spot to swim and relax on the beach and watch the rainbow of colours cast by another stunning sunset. If you’re staying in Sihanoukville, you could hire a bike and explore the area, hire a Stand Up Paddle Board (SUP) or a sailing catamaran from Otres Beach.
Today you could take a day trip on a boat from Otres Beach to explore some of the little islands off shore, go snorkelling and enjoy some island beach time. If you’ve been staying over on the islands, make sure you come back to the mainland by late afternoon to stay the night in Otres Beach as we depart early the next morning.
A three hour drive brings us to the little riverside town of Kampot where you will have a free afternoon to visit the fascinating salt and pepper farms, go cycling or trek in the Bokor National Park. Your itinerary includes a relaxing sunset boat cruise on the Kampot River. Tonight we recommend sampling the exceptional regional seafood dishes at one of the many restaurants on the riverfront – the fried shrimp with green pepper corns is an absolute must try!
From Kampot we head inland for the bustling Cambodian capital Phnom Penh, stopping for lunch before we take an afternoon tour of the infamous Khmer Rouge S21 Prison and Killing Fields. While it is a very sobering experience to learn more about Cambodia’s harsh recent history, it is one of the most recommended things to do in Phnom Penh. This evening you are free to walk around and discover the many sights of this energetic city or get out mingling with the locals while watching the sun set over the Mekong River.
This morning we leave lively Phnom Penh and make an express return with your Tour Leader to Siem Reap on a public bus. After you arrive in the afternoon, make the most of your final evening in Siem Reap by shopping for souvenirs at the market or having one last memorable night out on Pub Street with your Stray group.
It’s time to say good-bye to Cambodia – the trip from Siem Reap to Bangkok is an unguided public bus connection which your Tour Leader will organise for you. To return to Bangkok you will be driven to the border town of Poipet to process through Thai immigration before the last drive on to Bangkok. Expect to arrive at the bus station in the evening. We hope you had a blast on your Stray adventure!
|Bangkok (Arrive & Pick Up Tickets)||16:00||16:00|
Tour: Bangkok to Siem Reap (Express Day)
|Poipet Border (Depart)||12:00||12:00|
|Siem Reap - Northern Bus Station (Arrive)||17:00||17:00|
Tour: Siem Reap
|Siem Reap (Free Day)||Free||Free|
Tour: Siem Reap to Battambang (Homestay)
|Siem Reap - White Rabbit Hostel (Depart)||09:00||09:00|
|Battambang - Homestay (Arrive)||15:30||15:30|
Tour: Battambang to Sihanoukville
|Battambang - Homestay (Depart)||07:00||07:00|
Tour: Sihanoukville - Day 1
|Sihanoukville (Free Day)||Free||Free|
Tour: Sihanoukville - Day 2
|Sihanoukville (Free Day)||Free||Free|
Tour: Sihanoukville to Kampot
|Sihanoukville - Jully Anna Guesthouse Otres 2 (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
Tour: Kampot to Phnom Penh
|Kampot - Ny Ny Guesthouse (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
|Phnom Penh (Arrive)||12:00||12:00|
Tour: Phnom Penh to Siem Reap
|Phnom Penh (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
|Siem Reap (Arrive)||15:00||15:00|
Tour: Siem Reap to Bangkok (Express Day)
|Siem Reap (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
Need to Know
Some key details...
- Transport - All transport is included - you'll travel by bus (mostly private, air-conditioned buses with 24 seats), minivans, trains (Thailand only), boats (Laos only) and tuk-tuks.
- Guides - Stray employs local Tour Leaders to ensure you get more out of your trip. Hear the local stories, try their food recommendations, get insider tips and advice. Tour Leaders change from country to country so you'll have several different Tour Leaders throughout your journey if you're traveling multiple countries and if you hop on and off the bus - they're all absolute legends!
- Validity - This Freestyle Tour is valid for 12 months from your first day of travel and can be travelled once.
- Hopping on/off - Hop on and off as much as you like along the travel route. The buses run twice a week so the minimum amount of time you can hop off for is 3 days.
- Travelling without hopping off - You don't need to hop off if you're short on time - you can travel your tour in the number of days in the itinerary. There are non-travel days throughout the route so you will not be travelling everyday however we recommend allowing extra time to hop off.
- Departures - Buses run twice a week. Use the timetable to plan your trip.
- Booking Buses - Use Stray Mate (trip manager website) to book buses - you'll receive log in details in your Booking Confirmation email. If you're on a short timeframe, we recommend booking all your buses in advance.
- Accommodation - Accommodation is included for all nights of the itinerary. We stay in a mix of simple family operated guesthouses, hostels, basic hotels and village homestays. If you choose to hop off, you'll need to arrange, and pay for, your own accommodation. Accommodation is twin-share (unless you upgrade to a single room). We do not match travellers who are not travelling together, so please only book the twin-share option if you are travelling with a companion. Please note: At the homestays in Laos and Cambodia, we stay with a local family in their home. As part of this experience private (twin-share and single) rooms are not available.
- Activities - Top-rated activities are included and if you want to opt for extra activities, your Tour Leader can provide recommendations and assist with booking.
- Visas - You are responsible for obtaining any visas you require for the countries you are travelling in. Visa requirements vary depending on where you’re coming from and where you going, so we recommend that you contact the appropriate embassy in your country of origin.
- Travel Insurance - You must have a travel insurance policy to cover you for the entire time you are travelling with Stray. You will be asked for your policy details prior to starting travel.
- Stray Travellers - Our travellers are from all over the world, are energetic, adventurous and mainly aged between 20-35. You'll have people who have booked Freestyle Passes and Tours in your group, as the route is exactly the same, it's just the inclusions that are different.
- Group Size - Max 18, Average 9
- Unguided sectors - Some trips may include one or two unguided sectors as our Local Tour Leaders stay in their country of origin and bid you farewell to continue your journey with a new Tour Leader in the next country you're travelling to. Crossing the borders can be a bit of an adventure but your Tour Leader will tell you what to expect. In Stray Mate Trip Manager you can read the itinerary for each of these days to ensure your unguided sectors go smoothly.