The Khmer Flexi Tour takes you further off the beaten track in Cambodia. Stay overnight in a Cambodian village, learn about Cambodia's tragic history, spend time on the beach and of course, no trip to Cambodia is complete without visiting the magnificent Angkor Wat! Click here to see the route!
LOWBIRD SALE NOW ON
Travel before 30 September 2019 and save $$$! Offer ends 20 September 2019.
Planning to travel after 1 October 2019? Click here.
Travel private and public air-conditioned buses.
Knowledgeable local guides to provide invaluable support and insider insights and to assist with booking accommodation and activities at every destination.
10 nights’ accommodation in a variety of comfortable hotels, hostels, guesthouses and homestays!
2 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 2 dinners.
From temples, to river cruises, to nature encounters there are heaps of awesome activity inclusions in this tour:
- Full day Angkor Temple Tour, Siem Reap
- Phare Circus performance and dinner, Siem Reap
- Cambodian Village Experience - includes accommodation, local activities, meals and contribution to the village fund/project.
- Sunset river cruise, Kampot
- S21 Prison entrance fee
- Phnom Penh Killing Fields
Flexibility and 12 months to travel
You don't have to complete the Khmer Tour in 11 days, take your time and go with the flow! Freestyle Tours are flexible. You can hop-off at any destination along the route and spend more time there, then hop back on the tour with the next group that is coming through. It's really easy to manage your trip online using the Stray Mate Trip Manager. Your tour is valid for up to 12 months from first day of travel so you can hop, hop hop, as much as you like!
Not included: Accommodation if you choose to hop off the bus, extra meals and optional activities are not included in the price.
Is this trip right for you?
✓ Do you want to explore with a group of like-minded travellers?
✓ Do you want to focus on Cambodia but explore at your own pace?
✓ Do you want to immerse yourself in local culture?
✓ Do you want to visit some of those harder to reach, off the beaten track destinations?
The Khmer Freestyle Tour is a great choice for you!
Our mission is to get you off the beaten track amongst authentic local culture and our experienced crew has chosen some incredible destinations so you can see more and do more! 'Strademark' Places are the places you're less likely to find in the guide book but the ones you'll be talking about long after the adventure has ended.
- Immerse yourself in real Cambodian village life when we stay in a rural village 20mins from Battambang.
Instead of returning to Bangkok you can choose to continue to Ho Chi Minh City.
If you would like to do this, please:
- Add a comment at checkout
- Or contact the Stray Reservations team
- If you're already travelling, you can speak to your Tour Leader
Get inspired and start planning your trip!
Travel smarter and safer - Stay covered on your adventures!
Short on cash but don't want to miss out?
Deposit option available. Hit BOOK YOUR TRAVEL below and select from the payment options at checkout. Find out more.
Departs from: Bangkok
Days: Wednesday or Sunday (View the full timetable)
Time: Visit the Stray Bangkok Travel Shop before 4pm to get your tickets to Siem Reap
Given the spontaneous nature of our trips, what we do each day might occasionally vary.
Welcome to Stray! Your adventure kicks off in the buzzing Asian metropolis of Bangkok, Thailand. If you arrive early in the day feel free to check out the vibrant markets and ancient temples that make up only a small side of this multifaceted city. By 4pm, head to our Rambutri Stray Shop to meet with a Stray staff member, who will give you your bus ticket and a briefing on what to expect on tomorrow’s express trip to Siem Reap. You will also have the chance to sign up for Siem Reap’s highlight activities so you’re ready to dive right into the Cambodian scene. Make the most of your first night in Asia by exploring the exhilarating and intense Bangkok nightlife, snagging a bargain at a night market or dining out on some delicious Thai cuisine!
You’ll leave Bangkok early on an unguided public connection heading across the border to Cambodia. Today your destination is the small, but vibrant city of Siem Reap, best known as home to the UNESCO World Heritage listed Angkor temple complex. After your early evening arrival, your Cambodia Stray Guide will meet you at the White Rabbit Hostel at 7.30pm to welcome you and explain more about how Stray works. Afterwards you are invited to join your Stray group for a walk along the iconic Pub Street where you will get to know your new travel mates over a tasty dinner and cold drinks.
Today you get to experience two of Siem Reap’s highlight activities. First you’ll spend most of the day exploring the UNESCO World Heritage Angkor temples, a crucial part of the Cambodian national identity. Then finish the day with the unforgettably unique Phare Circus, a locally run non-profit troupe that provides disadvantaged young people from the community with a place to learn the skills needed to earn their livings as professional performing artists.
After waving goodbye to your hosts we’ll head into the city of Battambang. Despite being the second largest city in Cambodia, Battambang manages to avoid an overly touristy vibe, allowing you to experience a more local side of urban Cambodian life. Wander through the central market alongside the river and grab a coffee at one of the cafes. On the way back to Siem Reap we’ll stop to take a ride on the Bamboo Train, a rail system that was built by the French and destroyed by the Khmer Rouge, but is still used by the locals as a simple form of transport. Tonight’s activity is up to you, but we recommend finishing the day with the unforgettably unique Phare Circus, a locally run non-profit troupe that provides disadvantaged young people from the community with a place to learn the skills needed to earn their livings as professional performing artists. Meals included: Breakfast
Next up, we head for the bustling Cambodian capital Phnom Penh. With an edgy blend of harrowing history and modern development, Phnom Penh is incredibly important place for a number of political, economic and cultural reasons. You’re free this afternoon to get your first taste of this energizing capital city. Set out to explore the Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda and Wat Phnom, take a river cruise, shop for souvenirs at the huge Russian Market or see a living art performance at the National Museum.
You have a full free day to explore quaint Kampot. Visit the fascinating salt and pepper farms, go cycling or trek in the Bokor National Park or take a day trip to nearby Koh Tunsay (Rabbit Island) for some beach time. Tonight, we recommend sampling the exceptional regional seafood dishes at one of the many restaurants on the riverfront –the fried shrimp with green pepper corns is an absolute must try!
Today, Cambodia’s history is bought to life with a tour of two of the most infamous attractions: the Khmer Rouge’s Killing Fields and the Tuol Sleng S21 Prison. While it is a very sobering experience to learn more about the country’s harsh recent history and the atrocities of the Khmer Rouge, these are among the most recommended things to do in Phnom Penh. Afterwards, an afternoon drive brings us to the little riverside town of Kampot, where we’ll go on a relaxing sunset boat cruise on the Kampot River. Reflect on your day while absorbing the spectacular views of Bokor National Park and the Elephant Mountain as the sun sets over the calm waters.
After a relaxing morning in Kampot, we return to Phnom Penh, where you’ll have the evening free. For something different, why not join the locals at dusk for an aerobic workout along the riverfront. Here you’ll find local ladies garbed in Western-style pyjamas, getting their groove on to Khmer techno music in order to burn a few calories. It may not be your most coordinated moment but will be good for a giggle (even if you’re just laughing at yourself)!
This morning we leave lively Phnom Penh and make an express return with your Tour Leader to Siem Reap on a public bus. After you arrive in the afternoon, make the most of your final evening in Siem Reap by shopping for souvenirs at the market or having one last memorable night out on Pub Street with your Stray group.
It’s time to say good-bye to Cambodia – the trip from Siem Reap to Bangkok is an unguided public bus connection which your Tour Leader will organise for you. To return to Bangkok you will be driven to the border town of Poipet to process through Thai immigration before the last drive on to Bangkok. Expect to arrive at the bus station in the evening. We hope you had a blast on your Stray adventure!
Tour: Arrival in Bangkok
|Bangkok (Arrive & Pick Up Tickets)||By 16:00||By 16:00|
Tour: Bangkok to Siem Reap (Express Day)
|Poipet Border (Depart)||12:00||12:00|
|Siem Reap - Northern Bus Station (Arrive)||17:00||17:00|
|Siem Reap (Welcome Meeting)||19:30||19:30|
Tour: Siem Reap
|Siem Reap (Free Day)||Free||Free|
Tour: Siem Reap to Battambang (Homestay)
|Siem Reap - White Rabbit Hostel (Depart)||09:00||09:00|
|Battambang - Homestay (Arrive)||15:30||15:30|
Tour: Battambang to Siem Reap
|Battambang - Homestay (Depart)||07:00||07:00|
|Siem Reap (Arrive)||17:00||17:00|
Tour: Siem Reap to Phnom Penh
|Siem Reap - White Rabbit Hostel (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
|Phnom Penh (Arrive)||12:00||12:00|
|Kampot (Free Day)||Free||Free|
Tour: Phnom Penh to Kampot
|Phnom Penh - Silver River Hotel (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
Tour: Kampot to Phnom Penh
|Kampot - Apsara Guesthouse (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
|Phnom Penh (Arrive)||12:00||12:00|
Tour: Phnom Penh to Siem Reap
|Phnom Penh (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
|Siem Reap (Arrive)||15:00||15:00|
Tour: Siem Reap to Bangkok (Express Day)
|Siem Reap (Depart)||08:00||08:00|
Need to Know
Some key details...
- Transport - All transport is included - you'll travel by bus (mostly private, air-conditioned buses with 24 seats), minivans, trains (Thailand only), boats (Laos only) and tuk-tuks.
- Guides - Stray employs local Tour Leaders to ensure you get more out of your trip. Hear the local stories, try their food recommendations, get insider tips and advice. Tour Leaders change from country to country so you'll have several different Tour Leaders throughout your journey if you're traveling multiple countries and if you hop on and off the bus - they're all absolute legends!
- Validity - This Freestyle Tour is valid for 12 months from your first day of travel and can be travelled once.
- Hopping on/off - Hop on and off as much as you like along the travel route. The buses run twice a week so the minimum amount of time you can hop off for is 3 days.
- Travelling without hopping off - You don't need to hop off if you're short on time - you can travel your tour in the number of days in the itinerary. There are non-travel days throughout the route so you will not be travelling everyday however we recommend allowing extra time to hop off.
- Departures - Buses run twice a week. Use the timetable to plan your trip.
- Booking Buses - Use Stray Mate (trip manager website) to book buses - you'll receive log in details in your Booking Confirmation email. If you're on a short timeframe, we recommend booking all your buses in advance.
- Accommodation - Accommodation is included for all nights of the itinerary. We stay in a mix of simple family operated guesthouses, hostels, basic hotels and village homestays. If you choose to hop off, you'll need to arrange, and pay for, your own accommodation. Accommodation is twin-share (unless you upgrade to a single room). We do not match travellers who are not travelling together, so please only book the twin-share option if you are travelling with a companion. Please note: At the homestays in Laos and Cambodia, we stay with a local family in their home. As part of this experience private (twin-share and single) rooms are not available.
- Activities - Top-rated activities are included and if you want to opt for extra activities, your Tour Leader can provide recommendations and assist with booking.
- Visas - You are responsible for obtaining any visas you require for the countries you are travelling in. Visa requirements vary depending on where you’re coming from and where you going, so we recommend that you contact the appropriate embassy in your country of origin.
- Travel Insurance - You must have a travel insurance policy to cover you for the entire time you are travelling with Stray. You will be asked for your policy details prior to starting travel.
- Stray Travellers - Our travellers are from all over the world, are energetic, adventurous and mainly aged between 20-35. You'll have people who have booked Freestyle Passes and Tours in your group, as the route is exactly the same, it's just the inclusions that are different.
- Group Size - Max 18, Average 9
- Unguided sectors - Some trips may include one or two unguided sectors as our Local Tour Leaders stay in their country of origin and bid you farewell to continue your journey with a new Tour Leader in the next country you're travelling to. Crossing the borders can be a bit of an adventure but your Tour Leader will tell you what to expect. In Stray Mate Trip Manager you can read the itinerary for each of these days to ensure your unguided sectors go smoothly.