King Bhumibol's funeral
Our Bangkok shop will be closed Wednesday, October 25th and Thursday, October 26th 2017 in observance of the royal cremation ceremonies of HM the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej which will be held between October 25th and October 29th.
All general enquires should be directed to email@example.com during the shop closure and they will be processed within 24hours. For urgent enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +66(0)80 10 20 165.
The official funeral ceremonies will take place in Bangkok in October likely creating some disruption in the city. If you're travelling in Bangkok in October please read this important notice.
A year has passed since the passing of King Bhumibol on 13th October 2016. He was Thailand’s most revered King in living memory and the nation’s sorrow has been overwhelming. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people have queued to pay their last respects. Many people are still wearing black as a sign of mourning.
The cremation of King Bhumibol has been planned for Thursday 26th October 2017. This is a national event that will attract millions of visitors and will likely cause some disruptions to travellers on the days before, during and after.
- 1st to 29th October: The Grand Palace and The Temple of the Emerald Buddha will be CLOSED to the public and will re-open on 30th October.
- 13th October: A new public holiday marking the death of King Bhumibol
- 25th to 29th October: The royal funeral will take place
- 26th October: A public holiday so that people can attend the funeral and the cremation ceremony will take place. There will be festivities to pay a final tribute and farewell to the His Majesty King Bhumibol (including public performances, such as the khon masked drama, puppet shows, and orchestras), starting at 6:00 p.m. and running through 6:00 a.m. on the following day. Many transport services will be free on this day
More details can be found here
How to behave and what to expect:
- If you are in Bangkok during this time, it is expected you will be able to take photos however please do so with respect. Dress respectfully by covering your arms and legs (do not show too much bare skin) and avoid bright colours. Many nationals will be dressed in black.
- With the large crowds around there will also likely be some opportunistic pick pockets around. Be mindful of your things, keep valued belongings zipped up and within eyesight especially around the Royal Cremation site including Khao San road area
- Expect heavy congestion with regards to roads and transport and around the Royal Plaza. Allow extra travel time.
- Accommodation will be heavily booked with limited availability. If you already have a booking with Stray we will ensure we have a room reserved for you.
Travel with Stray
- The Stray Bangkok shop will be closed Wednesday October 25th and Thursday, October 26th 2017 in observance of the royal cremation ceremonies.
- This event may also cause some disruptions to departures on the 17, 24, 28 and 31 October but these departures will still go ahead.
- The streets around Khao San Road may be very busy.
- Flight of the Gibbon in Chiang Mai will be closed on 26 October. Flexi tour passengers arriving in Chiang Mai on 25 October will be booked to do the zip lining activity on the 25th so they don't miss out.
CONTACT US: If you have any issues or concerns about travel during this time you can contact: Ben at +66(0)80 10 20 165 or email Ben@straytravel.asia